- The Gatwick Diamond GDP is over £13 billion, one of the strongest in the UK.
- At the heart of the Gatwick Diamond, Gatwick Airport is the busiest point to point airport in Europe handling 32 million passengers going to 200 destinations in 90 countries.
- Gatwick Airport is spending £1 billion in capital improvement.
- The Gatwick Diamond is UK headquarters for ExxonMobil and Unilever. Nestle will relocate their UK HQ to City Place in Crawley at the end of 2012.
- Major employer Thales UK, part of the global aerospace and defence company, has invested £100 million into state of the art facilities.
- The fuel cell technology transfer pioneer, Ceres Power has chosen the Gatwick Diamond as the worldwide manufacturing HQ for their innovative fuel cell technology for domestic energy supply against worldwide competition.
- It is a key regional centre for major professional services companies including - KPMG, PricewaterhouseCoopers, Deloittes, BDO Stoy Hayward, Grant Thornton, Thomas Eggar, ASB Law and Shadbolt.
Gatwick Diamond: The Economy
The Gatwick Diamond is a high performing sub regional economy, overall one of the top performing 'Diamonds' in the South East.
- GDP is £13.3bn, 8 per cent of the South East regional output.
- It has a population of 648,000, with a workforce of 343,000.
- The workforce is highly skilled and has a significant proportion of jobs in the private sector knowledge economy.
- Economic activity levels are high, around 80 per cent of the working age population is in employment.
- GVA per head is 10 per cent higher than the South East average.
- It has excellent communications links by road, rail and air regionally, nationally and internationally.
- Gatwick is the UK's second largest business airport.
- It is base for many successful international businesses, including R&D and high value manufacturing and professional services.
- Business is dynamic, innovative and enterprising.
- A good quality of life and high levels of connectivity also provide ideal conditions for business development.
See also Futures plan/Business plan.
Please click on the below reports to view the results of the Gatwick Diamond Initiative's quarterly Business Barometer research study, offering a snapshot of business confidence in the Gatwick Diamond area:
If you require further information, please email Rosemary French or contact her on 01293 813950 or 07748 115 411.